Recipe: Toffee Vodka
Think More Mountain, think laid back luxury, and maybe a cheeky toffee vodka or two!
If you have been skiing in the French Alps, or visited Morzine on a More Mountain Fully Catered holiday before you will probably be familiar with the delights of toffee vodka. For the uninitiated, toffee vodka is a traditional mountain drink and has been the creator of many good nights and bad mornings over the years.
Our More Mountain signature toffee vodka recipe is a closely guarded secret, but rumour has it, it involves our chalet hosts trekking in to the mountains during training week, with nothing but a humane marmot trap and an alpine horn...
You can buy a bottle or two from your chalet hosts but if you want to give it a go yourself, here's how you can recreate it at home:
- Pour out about 1/4 of a bottle of vodka and keep it for another time
- Squeeze a packet of toffees one at a time in to the bottle of vodka
- Make sure the lid is screwed on tightly and put the bottle in your dishwasher on a high temperature - This will melt the toffees into the vodka. It may take a few "washes'' for the toffees to completely dissolve (just make sure that the lid is still tight when you put it back in).
Toffee vodka is great for drinking games or sipping by the fire after a long day on the slopes! Why not mix it with some warmed apple juice for a delicious Toffee Apple cocktail?
The above method can be used to make a variety of flavoured vodkas so give one of these a try for something different:
- Chocolate eclairs
- Mars bar
- Skittles (Take out the red ones to avoid a nasty colour)
- Cola bottles (The jelly sits in the bottom of the bottle, but you can strain it)
- Crushed boiled sweets - Werthers Original, strawberry and cream Campino, Lemon Sherbets, Palmer Violets
- Tabasco (Just pour it in, it is a good forfeit shot)